Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mangos & Watermelons

 

SANY0003 (3)

 

This morning I had fresh cut mango and watermelon for breakfast with a cup of Ugandan coffee. I’m definitely going to take advantage of all the fresh fruit they have here – it’s delicious!

 

 

A little update about yesterday: I met Sarah’s gardener, whose name is Sunday. He comes three times a week and looks after the beautiful yard. In the evening we went out for dinner, however, when we got there there was no power. But everything keeps running like normal and candles had been put up around the restaurant. They cook with gas so even if the power goes out one can still order food. I didn’t mind eating in the dark with just candles – it added some character and a cozy feel to it!

SANY0003 (2)

Today, while my sister was at work, dad and I decided to check out the pool at one of the hotels in town. It was a pretty cloudy day today so the temperature was nice and comfortable.

SANY0013Hello ;)

As we had lunch at the hotel’s restaurant I spotted a Stork walking around on the grass. These Marabou Storks are common in both rural and urban environments here, but nowhere more so than in downtown Kampala. One only has to look up in the sky and one can see several flying up above the city. They can grow up to about 1.5m tall and have a wingspan of 3.5m!

SANY0024Stork

In the evening we went out for dinner and the menu was quite varied. Care for some game meat such as Kudu (antelope), Springbok, Crocodile or Ostrich?! I didn’t try any of those this time, but the food was delicious so we’ll probably be back again. My sister said Ostrich is actually pretty good so maybe I’ll try that next time :)

SANY0002 (3)

Now I’m off to bed soon..tomorrow we’re flying to Northern Tanzania for a three day safari! I’m really excited about this, I’ve always wanted to go on a safari :) Hopefully we get to see all of the “The Big Five” which are lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and cape buffalo. I’m not sure how the internet connections will be while we’re travelling, but I’ll try to update my blog along the way :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Birgit, its nice to follow along looks like you are all have a great time. Hils til de andr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hei snuppa mi :) Nå følge eg bloggen i spenning her- kjempe morro! Høres heilt fantastisk ut og nyt kvert sekund av det :) Super glad i deg og ska følge bloggen din daglig ;) smask

    ReplyDelete