Monday, October 4, 2010

Arrival

My journey started yesterday in Stavanger then to Amsterdam and then directly to Entebbe which is the airport outside of Kampala. The flights went good, and the about eight hours from Amsterdam to Entebbe went pretty fast actually. Once we landed I could feel the nice warm air! It was starting to get cold in Norway and it probably won't be too long before it starts getting a little bit cooler in Canada too. When we arrived it was already dark so I didn’t get to see much as the plane flew in, but the drive from the airport to my sister’s house was quite the experience! Sarah picked us up in her Toyota Rav4 and the supposedly 45 min. drive to downtown Kampala ended up taking about 2 hours! Part of the main road which we were going to take was for some reason closed so we had to turn around and find a detour - which is not easy when there are barely any signs and the roads are dark. The only lights were coming from all the little shops and food stands along the side of the road. The streets were filled with people and the road was jammed with cars, "matatus" which are like local mini buses and "boda bodas" which are moped taxis :)
We arrived at my sister’s house around 11:00pm. She lives inside the UN Compound which is located close to heart of downtown Kampala. It's a two bedroom house with a huge living room, dining room, kitchen and two bathrooms. There's also a nice little porch were I’ll probably do most of my writing, and a huge yard. She decorated the place herself and got all the furniture hand made to her taste. I must say I was pretty impressed and I'm so excited to be roomies with her for the next couple of months! Last time we saw each other was actually about a year and a half ago! While my dad is here on vacation for about three weeks I will be staying with my sister in her room and then I get my own room - yay :) After I got settled in I went to bed and couldn't wait to see what tomorrow would bring!
Here is a picture of the beautiful sunset from the airplane, about one hour before landing, as well as some pictures of my sister’s house:


Entrance & Drive-way
Living Room
Dining Room
Kitchen
Sarah's bedroom

Guest bedroom
I think this chair on the porch will become my favourite writing spot :)
View from the porch to the yard


3 comments:

  1. Kjempe hyggelig med blogg, gleder meg til flere bilder :) stor klem Kjersti

    ReplyDelete
  2. hei, kjempebra skrevet Birgit, gleder meg til aa lese mer. Kos deg! Klem fra Mamma

    ReplyDelete