Monday, December 13, 2010

Kampala randoms :)

Here’s just a little greeting from Kampala with some pictures:

Every second thursday there’s a quiz night here at the Irish Pub (yes they have an Irish pub here!). I’ve been able to go twice since I’ve been here and it was always a good time. There’s ten rounds and whoever wins a round gets either beers or shots :) If there’s a tie then there has to be a drink off between the teams! Our team never won overall, but we did win several rounds and therefore always got some free drinks. The team who wins has to host the next quiz night, so I guess it was alright never coming in first place because then we wouldn’t have been able to participate next time haha :)

 PC020044

 

Me & Jessica at quiz night

 

 

 

As I’ve mentioned before we sometimes go to the fabric market which is in the heart of downtown Kampala. Going downtown is quite the adveture! It is chaotic, hectic, full of life, warm… There are so many people, cars and bodas everywheres. bodas are the moped taxi’s :) To get there we have to go through one area which is known as the taxi-park, or bus terminal. Here all the matatus (taxi buses) gather up and wait for passengers. However, there is not really a system to it, there’s simply matatus all over the place – I don’t understand how they even get in and out of the taxi-park, but somehow they do :) Anyways, it’s a sight worth seeing and here’s some pictures of it to really get the feel of how it looks like:

DSC04500

 DSC04499

 

I also picked up my other sclothes at the tailor that I got made from fabric from the market. I got three skirts and one more dress :)

          DSC04545        DSC04543

              DSC04546         DSC04549

 

Right now there’s grasshopper season here. Which means crispy crunchy grasshoppers are being sold at every street corner – yummy! :) They fry them in a lot of oil and salt so they actually kind of taste like chips. I don’t have any pictures of the popular snack, but I did spot an alive one in the house so I snapped a picture of it haha. They’re huge!

DSC04012

The other day my sister and I went out for dinner and I ordered an ostrich burger. It came with onion, tomotaoes, cheese and pineapple and it was absolutely delicious! Who would have thought ostrich meat is good :)

Another night we were a group of girls who went out to a really nice restaurant for some Indian food.

DSC04202 Me, Mandana, Sarah, Jessica, Gabby & Ewa :)

 

While I’ve been here I’ve also visited the beautiful Lake Victoria which is only a short drive away.

DSC03420   DSC03419

 

On days off and weekends I’ve taking the advantage of the nice warm weather by often lounging at the pool and swimming :)

DSC04511                    PC030179

Getting ready to jump on a boda & go to the pool :)            

PC030182Gabby is a pro at sitting side-ways :)

DSC04537  Mandana & I enjoying some BBQ chicken!

DSC04527Plant sale at the side of the road.

One can pretty much buy anything and everything from the side of the road here. Drive-through Kampala style :)

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to buy flowers from the market.

    Vi gleeeder oss til jul.
    Love,
    Tante Anne

    ReplyDelete